Specifically the Society function:
- To promote and disseminate knowledge in psychology and its applications for the benefit of the individual and society.
- To promote psychological research and organise meetings on matters in particular fields of psychology.
- To introduce, encourage and maintain proper standards in the development, use, evaluation, or standardisation of all instruments, techniques or devices for use in the practice of psychology in Singapore.
- To seek to ensure that psychological tests and equipment are made available only to persons whom the Society deems appropriately qualified.
- To advocate, set up and maintain high standards of professional standing and conduct for its members in respect of the teaching, researching or practising of psychology.
- To disseminate information about opportunities for professional work, and to make recommendations from time to time to members and to employers about desirable qualifications and remuneration.
- To safeguard the professional interests of members and to support all legitimate efforts to extend the knowledge and professional expertise of members, whether by research, encouragement of the publication of reports, documents or books on psychology, by facilitating access to relevant material, or by any other legal means.
- To liaise with organisations of psychologists elsewhere and with societies representing other professions, and to foster good relations with the public.
- To lay down the requirements for membership of the Society and to maintain a register of members with details of their addresses, qualifications, appointments and experience.
- To collect funds from membership fees, or donations; to keep proper account of such funds and to administer them in accordance with the Society’s aim.
- To do all that may be necessary and proper to protect the individual or general public against unsound practices, and to restrict the use of the term ‘Psychologist’ to Full members of the Society and to those whose qualifications are acceptable to the Society.
- To exercise such other functions as the Society may from time to time deem feasible and desirable to realise its aims.
The Singapore Psychological Society is a member of the following organizations:1. International Test Commission2. International Union of Psychological Science3. National Council of Social Service (Singapore)4. Singapore Professional Centre